Europe for Citizens 2014-2020
The programme “Europe for Citizens 2014-2020” aims to bring European citizens to the European Union, promote European citizenship and improve the conditions for civic participation and democracy at EU level.
The programme should contribute to the understanding of the European Union, its history and diversity on the part of European citizens. It promotes European citizenship and it improves the conditions for democratic and civic participation for a European citizenship that could be better perceived in a transnational context that goes beyond a national vision.
In the belief that European citizenship is an important element in strengthening and safeguarding the process of European integration, the European Commission encourages the involvement of European citizens in all aspects of community life.
- Contribute to citizens’ understanding of the Europe, of its history and its diversity.
- promote European citizenship and to improve conditions for civic and democratic participation at EU level.
- Raise awareness of remembrance, common history and values.
- Encourage democratic participation of citizens at EU level, by developing citizens’ understanding of the EU policy making-process and, by promoting opportunities for societal and intercultural engagement and volunteering at EU level.
This programme is relevant for the Samaritan organizations because it promotes European civic participation and democracy at the EU level. thanks to this programme the samaritan organizations should implement cross border voluntary exchange according to the most recent challenges of the modern voluntary work.
Volunteering is an expression of active European citizenship. By giving their time to others the volunteers help their community and play an active role in society. They develop a sense of belonging and identificationtion with a community. Volunteering is therefore a particularly powerful tool for developing the engagement of citizens towards their society and its political life.
Structure of the Programme
In line with the general objectives of the Europe for Citizens programme, annual priorities are defined by the European Commission. Applicants are encouraged to develop projects in line with the objectives of the programme and targeting the annual priorities. here you can find annual priority for 2014
This EU programme support in two thematic areas:
- “European Remembrance”: This strand of the programme focuses on Europe as a peace project. We must keep the memories of the past alive while we build the future. The programme will support initiatives which reflect on the causes of the totalitarian regimes that blighted Europe’s modern history, look at its other defining moments and reference points, and consider different historical perspectives. Remembering the lessons of the past is a pre-requisite for building a brighter future.
- “Democratic engagement and civic participation“: This strand of the programme aims at strengthening the general public’s understanding of how EU policies are shaped today. It also fosters the close involvement of civil society in European policy-making. Citizens’ organisations can draw on funding to encourage and develop the responsible, democratic civic engagement of the general public in the processes of European integration.
Application and consultancy
The candidates, in order to access the forms, must have an ECAS account. After getting the account ECAS each entity participating in the project must register with the attendees access the portal of participants.The Commission has entrusted the implementation of this programme to an Executive Agency, namely the Education, Audiovisual and Culture Executive Agency (EACEA).
You will find all the information on how to apply for funding and the conditions and procedures for the selection of beneficiaries on the EACEA website.
Responsible body for the programme
Education, Audiovisual and Culture Executive Agency – EACEA
For more information and details
Below other national contact points for the organizations of the network